Tuesday, July 19, 2011

RON SANTO WALK SPOTLIGHT: KAREN KERBIS


Karen Kerbis (right) on Walk Day at the Busse Woods Site.
JDRF Illinois wants to thank Karen Kerbis for serving as the Busse Woods Site Chair for the past 12 years. The Kerbis family will be relocating to San Francisco this fall. Karen and her family became involved with the chapter after her son Adam was diagnosed at the age of six. Karen and Adam were selected to participate in Children’s Congress in 1999, where they had an incredible experience. Karen said, “it was the most incredible experience for both of us. Being surrounded by so many incredible children with diabetes and their families was comforting to both me and Adam, and we saw how powerful the voices of 50+ children could be in Congress. We felt the strength and support of JDRF, and it was amazing!”
When Karen returned from Children's Congress she was asked to get more involved and soon after started her run as Busse Woods Site Chair. 

"It's hard to describe the feeling you get on Walk weekend, watching an empty field magically transform into the amazing event that is the Walk. Anyone who has ever served on a site committee knows what I mean. I have had the honor of working with the most incredible JDRF staff and volunteers, and as a team, we make the magic happen. It's the satisfaction we get from having run a successful event that keeps us coming back year after year." 

As for what she'll miss most about her involvement with the Walk:  "I'll miss working with my amazing Walk manager, Megan Gavin, and my dedicated site committee. I'll also miss attending the Walk at Busse Woods - it's something my family looks forward to each year. It's become such an important part of our lives as we battle to raise funds to find a cure for diabetes."

Thank you, Karen for your support, dedication, leadership, and commitment to the Busse Woods Site Committee. Karen summed up her experience with JDRF in these words: “Being involved with JDRF in general, and the Walk in particular, has changed my life. The experience I've gained as site chair has given me confidence and strength that have helped me both personally and professionally. I've also been fortunate to have met some of the most incredible people over the years, including the amazing, motivating Ron Santo, who we miss dearly. Through my involvement and experience, I've had the opportunity to help newly diagnosed families get acclimated and know that they'll always be able to reach out to JDRF for the support they need. I know that I'll always be involved with JDRF, no matter where life takes me. It's an incredible organization.”

Karen, you are one of a kind! We will miss you here in Illinois! Good luck to you and your family as you open a new chapter in your lives.

1 comment:

TRex said...

I'll be taking part in the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes, along with a half-million others nationwide. I am personally walking for my Aunt and my Cousin who both suffer from diabetes. I’m hoping that you can help support my fundraising efforts with a donation. Any amount, great or small, helps JDRF get closer to its goal of finding better treatments and a cure for type 1 diabetes.

Simply click on the link at the bottom of this message to donate online. I greatly appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks in advance for helping me raise money for a cause that helps so many.

Thanks a mil,

Thom

Walk to Cure Diabetes
http://x.co/aQu0